- We have a state of the art, portable and wireless x-ray system.
- This system produces images instantaneously allowing quick interpretation and diagnosis on site
- These images are digital and are able to be easily sent off for specialist interpretation if required.
- We can image the head, neck, limbs and feet of adult horses and are able to image all areas of a young foal.
- All of our vets are trained and experienced to give your horses the best treatment. They are also trained to give you the best advice for preventative care, which helps to keep the costs down over the years.
- We offer a complete and thorough oral examination of your horses mouth including a dental chart, which allows us to document all the changes that occur over the years.
- We use an electric power float that enables us to provide high quality dentistry that is fast, effective and safe for the treatment required.
- Sedation is used in most cases as it allows us to do a complete and thorough oral examination, with the additional benefit of minimising the stress for even the most fractious of horse.
- We can also perform: wolf teeth removal, dental cap removal as needed, dental radiography and other extractions on a case by case basis.
Equine Reproductive Exams
- Our mobile crush enables us to come to your property to perform safe reproductive examinations.
- Using our portable ultrasound machine, we are able to check for ovulation for controlled mating, pregnancy, twins, placentitis and continued monitoring throughout the pregnancy.
- We are able to perform routine pre-mating swabs (clitoral), and vaginal/cervical/uterine swabs when necessary.
- Uterine lavages are easily performed in the crush for those problem mares.
- We are able to provide pregnancy certificates on request.
- We have a portable, high quality ultrasound machine that we use for tendon scans, pregnancy scans and for other medical conditions.
An example of surgeries we are able to perform in the field are as follows:
- We are able to perform a variety of surgeries at your property. For the more complex surgeries, we can refer to your preferred equine surgeon in Perth.
- Umbilical hernia repairs
- Check ligament desmotomies (for foals with contracted tendons)
- Enucleation (eye removal surgery)
- Lump removals (cancerous growths, cysts etc)
- Trauma stitch ups
- Wound debridement
- Eye surgeries: squamous cell carcinoma removal (3rd eyelid), tarsorrhaphy, placement of eye lavage systems.
Endoscopy, Tracheal Washes and Bronchoalveolar Lavage
- Midwest Vet Centre owns a 2m endoscope which enables our vets to visualise internal structures of the upper respiratory system, upper gastrointestinal tract, lower urinary tract and internal uterus.
- Endoscopy of the upper airway allows us to visualise important structures in the nasal cavities and throat, including the sinus openings, guttural pouches, largynx, trachea and soft palate. Our vets can identify any abnormalities of these structures including signs of infection or inflammation.
- Tracheal washes and Bronchoalveolar lavages can be performed easily in our portable crush. These tests are able to determine the cause of respiratory infections or inflammation including Equine Exercise Induced Pulmonary Haemorrhage and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
- We have a portable ECG reader that enables us to do a basic cardiac work up on poorly performing horses or on those who have had an abnormal rhythm noticed on physical examination.
- We have an extensive IDEXX laboratory in-clinic that allows us to measure blood biochemistry and blood cell types quickly. This makes for a fast diagnosis of those critically ill patients, including foals. This also allows us to diagnose causes of poor performance and ill-thrift.
- We have a microscope to utilise cytology as to view smears from joint taps, wounds, lumps or ‘belly taps’ from severe colics. Our microcscope has digital capabilities which allows us to capture images directly from the microscope to send off to specialists.
- Health examinations
- Vaccinations – Tetanus, Strangles, Hendra and Equine Herpes Virus
The exact vaccine protocol you should follow depends on your horse’s age, the kind of stabling, intended activities and more. You should also consult your vet about needs regarding your specific locality.
- Deworming programs
- Nutrition counselling
Lameness Work Ups and Joint Injections
- We are able to provide thorough lameness work ups to pin point the site of lameness using a combination of nerve and joint blocks, ultrasound and radiography.
- We are available for joint injections and are a keen advocate for the use of IRAP.
Other Equine Services
- Australian Stud Book DNA and microchipping
- Liver Fluke drenching and testing for imported horses
- Pre-purchase examinations
- Freeze branding and Microchipping for identification purposes