We’re so excited to share that we have achieved GOLD level accreditation as a Cat Friendly Clinic!
“Cat Friendly Clinic is a worldwide programme from the International Society of Feline Medicine, the veterinary division of International Cat Care.
We recognise that because of their unique nature and needs, taking a cat to a veterinary clinic can be very stressful, both for the cat and also the owner.
The Cat Friendly Clinic programme is designed to help address these issues by creating more cat friendly veterinary clinics and so reducing the stress for the cat, and making veterinary visits easier for cat owners as well. ” – ISFM
With our new Therian Cat Condos, we easily achieved Bronze level but Dr Tara Craft knew that Gold was achievable. There was an extensive checklist that she had to work through, providing examples and photographs to be able to apply for the Gold level accreditation.
To maintain this accreditation, these are just SOME of the things you can expect to see at Midwest Vet Centre.
- The clinic must provide a calm and quite cat-only ward with the ability for the cat to perch and move freely inside the hospital bed.
- The clinic must ensure cats are handled with appropriate gentleness and respect at all times, ensuring cat-friendly principles are always adhered to during the care and restraint of cats. For example, minimising stress during handling, examinations and procedures.
- The clinic’s in-house laboratory must be able to provide testing for basic blood and urinary analysis, as well as being able to determine a cat’s blood type. (Dora is Blood Group A if you’re curious!)
- The clinic must provide an operating theatre stocked with appropriate feline equipment, as well as maintaining a high level of surgical standards.
- The clinic must provide separate waiting areas and consultation rooms for cat and dog patients, ensuring that if dogs and cats are present in the clinic at the same time, that sufficient barriers are in place to prevent visual contact
- The clinic must provide above-ground level areas for crated-cats to be placed safely, as well as a feline consultation room
We can’t wait for your kittycat to come and visit to take advantage of these awesome new changes!
You can find more information by visiting the clinic to speak to our cat advocates in person or clicking through to https://icatcare.org/isfm